[Gllug] [OT] Hardware problem

David L Neil gllug at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 02:26:17 UTC 2010

On 22/03/10 12:19, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 12:15 +1300, David L Neil wrote:
>> On 22/03/10 11:54, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>>> Actually, not recognise is not the right word - not see at all is
>>> better.
>> When you say "not see" are you talking about the Linux level or the BIOS
>> level?
>> Check the BIOS is including/prioritising parallel drives...
> It only reports the DVD drive as present. When I boot the thing with
> Knoppix it reports that the DVD is there as /dev/hdb - there is
> no /dev/hda (is this a clue does anyone think?).
> There are no bios options for PATA/IDE drives at all, other than to
> ensure the onboard interface is on (which obviously it is)

Is this a Knoppix live disk? In which case is it reserving /dev/hda for
its own purposes?

If there is no mention in the BIOS displays, (ensure all options for
such displays are selected) what connections does it report during the
BIOS boot phase?

What happens if you select to boot from the (PATA) HDD as first
priority? (at the moment you presumably have CD/DVD prioritised)

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk