[Gllug] Partition a 2 TB drive for storing films

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Mar 15 13:49:26 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 09:07:10PM +0000, John wrote:
> I would use XFS for a large filesystem.

I would tend to back John on this but would add the caveat that it
depends what you mean by "large".  XFS is good for dealing with large
files, much faster than ext3 for fscking large filesystems, less painful
than ext3 (*much* less painful than jfs) for iterating over filesystems
with a large number of nested directories.  Oh, and it's good (and
quick) at online resizing, which may not be relevant to you.

On the negative side, it is slow at deleting files and even slower at
deleting directories with many files in or nested directory trees.  I
have also known it to be unstable where it was installed on top of
multiple VFS layers (e.g. XFS on LVM on software RAID); that said, I
think the usual culprit for that is write barriers, which you can
disable and which XFS on Linux now routinely disables if it thinks the
underlying device won't respect them.

I do like XFS and use it extensively, just to be clear.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.