[Gllug] [OT] Hardware problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Tue Mar 23 08:29:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 04:40 +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:53:55PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
> > Now I have installed Ubuntu on the box but it freezes when I do more or
> > less anything in X.
>
> How powerful is your PSU?  Did you upgrade the CPU along with the mobo?
> One possibility is that when you go into X, it overtaxes the system -
> altbhough I'd expect it to shut down rather than just freeze, if that
> were the issue.

I got a new PSU and memory for the board too. I haven't really taken
over anything except the case, the DVD drive and the PATA disk.

I had problems booting into Linux off the install cd until I fiddled
with the kernel command line, so I suspect that is where I will have to
start on the installed kernel.

I deliberated picked a fast board as the girls had moaned about how slow
their old machine was. Hopefully this one will last them a few years...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk