[Gllug] [OT] Hardware problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sun Mar 21 22:54:19 UTC 2010

The good news (that makes this ever-so-slightly less than a spam email)
is that now I have finally acted on my oft repeated promise to the kids
to get/build them a new/faster computer they have both agreed that they
no longer want Windows on it and will be happier with Linux.

The bad news is that, having bought a high spec Mobo (Asus P7H55-M Pro)
for them, it seems unwilling to recognise their old 200G IDE (PATA)
disk, though it will recognise the DVD drive on the same cable.

Actually, not recognise is not the right word - not see at all is
better.

I cannot google anything to suggest that I have hit a known problem so
am coming to believe the drive has been killed in some way, though don't
know how.

I have to test that obviously, but before I unscrew everything again,
anybody ever had a similar problem and know of some heuristics I might
employ to fix this in a software/BIOS sort of way.

Long shot, I know...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk