[Gllug] Hitachi SMS-100

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 16:49:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 15:14 +0000, Juergen Schinker wrote:
>   I recommend you buy a Terrastation from Buffalo...
>
> connected via iSCSI and a reasonable fast Gigabit switch
>
> should be good enough for the job

Given their limit of 4 disks, I really doubt you'll get significantly
decent performance out of them.

We've recently bought some (15?) Thecus 8800s as cheap VM storage,
they're dirt cheap and perform relatively well.

(https://www.andymillar.co.uk/blog/index.php/2010/02/24/work/thecus-8800-sequential-io-performance/)

They support ISCSI and up to 8 disks, getting the Pro model will allow
you to fit an additional quad port GigE or dual port 10GigE card if you
want more than 1 gbit connectivity to your device.

Dell Equallogics are also pretty good for "cheap" storage. The Dell
support is very good.

Andy