[Gllug] Small PC, resource constraints, improving efficiencies

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:45:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM, David L Neil <GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk> wrote:

> =From first glance it seems not to replace Gnome* but only Metacity.
> Will it result in significant resource savings?
>
> *perhaps my ignorance shows: are the others only/much the same? I
> figured that having trimmed-down as many of the CentOS services as I
> dare, I could maximise the resources available to the apps. Gnome seems
> to be over-kill for my 'five buttons' (as above), hence my ponderous
> ponderings...

Exactly. Since I've still yet to find anyone that can give me a
concrete definition of what GNOME actually is, it's hard to say. But
FVWM is just a window manager. You could use it to replace metacity,
but like you say, that won't buy you much other than a nicer user
experience. The question is, do you need the rest of whatever it is
that GNOME gives you? FvwmButtons can give you an application
launcher, should you want one, which removes part of the reason for a
GNOME panel[1]. If you want a file manager, should should be able to
run nautilus as a standalone app in conjunction with FVWM. There are
no shortage of X11 clocks to replace a date/time widget.

Tet

[1] The panel acts as both an application launcher and a home for
iconified applications. FvwmButtons definitely does the first part,
and you may be able to configure it to do the latter as well. I've
always just stuck to launching things from desktop menus, rather than
wasting screen real estate with a separate launcher, and my iconified
apps go to designated places on the desktop, so I'm not best placed to
talk authoritatively about FvwmButtons.

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk