[Gllug] Anyone used a mobile phone "signal booster"?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri May 21 20:46:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:36:48PM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> But if your alternative is having to walk down the end of the driveway
> to pick up a call then it may be worth the cost.

Well indeed, or in my case, up the other end of the lane just to get a
2G signal.

I gather from a bit more reading of the interwebs that these things
are called "femtocells" (Wikipedia q.v.) and they really act as 3G
cells, which is rather interesting.  However they are completely
locked into a single network provider - mobile company habits die hard.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat