[Gllug] Anyone used a mobile phone "signal booster"?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri May 21 19:36:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:19:36PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> Vodaphone are flogging this one for 50 quid + a monthly fee (not an
> endorsement, just the first one that pops up in Google):
>
> http://suresignal.vodafone.co.uk/
>
> Anyone used these?  Do they work?  _How_ do they work?  Are they
> network agnostic?

A company opposite bought one a couple of weeks ago and had a bit of
trouble getting it to connect to the Internet. I'll try to ask them
about it next week to see if it's working.

Basically it costs between 50 and 120 GBP and allows up to four 3G
handsets to connect to Vodaphone over the Internet. Very little in
the way of diagnostics except for a couple of LEDs. There is some
sort of control panel on Vodaphone's website which configures it
where you give it the mobile phone numbers allowed to connect.

It is supposed to be able to work with any broadband connection and
behind a NAT router, probably because it connects out to Vodaphone.
Latency might be a problem on slow or congested networks.

From my personnal opinion, it seems a bit cheeky to be that you have
to pay for both the equipment and Internet connection to fix their
blackspot problems. And then you still pay full price for your calls.

But if your alternative is having to walk down the end of the driveway
to pick up a call then it may be worth the cost.