[Gllug] A little OT: On the limits of VLANs

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat May 1 17:50:58 UTC 2010

- Tethys wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to add a gnome desktop to an install of Ubuntu Server
>> without it dragging all the desktop cruft along too though?
>>

> A gnome desktop *is* cruft. You don't really want a desktop at all
> on your server. If X is installed, I see that as a bug. Sadly, I
> seem to be in a minority there.
>
> But AFAIK, the only difference between Ubuntu Server and Desktop
> is the package selection (and maybe different kernel config).
> So just installing whatever applications you want on top of the
> server install should be fine. apt will pull in whatever extra
> dependencies are necessary. Whether you define that as cruft or
> not, I can't say.
>
> Also, like Bruce, I wouldn't be choosing Ubuntu here. If you're
> comfortable in a Debian-ish world, then go for proper Debian
> over Ubuntu. Alternatiely, you might want to look at CentOS.
>
> Tet

Hi Tethys,

The machine in question isn't exactly a server, not in the same way as a
file/print server or a web server, maybe I should have been clearer... I
suppose it would be more accurate to call it a "backup controller" and
rather than serving multiple clients it is in charge of multiple drone
boxes. It's will be running some custom software I am developing and
although this is currently terminal based the aim is to have a full GUI
eventually. So as I said I will want a desktop/window manager of some
sort. I'll probably do the GUI part in wxPython or HTML/JS so it doesn't
really matter if it's GTK or QT based.

I suppose I'd prefer something debian based as I'm quite used to Ubuntu
now but that's not that big a deal. Ideally I'd like a desktop system
that's not running a bunch of desktop crap in the background like Ubuntu
is (search indexing, cups, zeroconf etc). Also, not having tonnes of
games and chat clients and office suites would be a bonus.

I haven't used fluxbox but I've heard it's very light, maybe I could
install something like that on Ubuntu server? Seems like ppl are dubious
about Ubuntu too, how much more effort would it be to use plain old
Debian instead? (considering my fairly modest experience)

Cheers,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk