[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Sat May 15 22:04:47 UTC 2010

On Sat 15 May, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> We use "blown fibre", which is inserted into plastic ducting,

   I first heard of blown fibre about 15 years ago when BT were taking
fibre along the A40. My father knew the BT engineer and they spent some time
talking about the way they were doing it. They discovered that it did not
stretch after several failures pulling fibre through ducts, so were blowing
it through then. I assume the new fibre cable is a bit tougher.
   Most of the fibre around here is in about 100 to 150 mm ducts. I do not
know how the road behind my house stays in one piece, with about 9 pairs of
fibre ducts installed by different companies, together with two or three
large gas mains, water, electricity, two main sewers, and a pair of
oil-filled high voltage cables. There are even more fibres fed through the
sewers. Most of the problems that occur appear to be either leaky gas and
water mains, old electricity cables, or damage inflicted by the different
(dis)organisations on the other installations.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk