[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu May 13 07:59:48 UTC 2010

Hello,
   BT are apparently pushing ahead providing at least fibre to the local
cabinet, if not to the home. This requires new larger cabinets with space
for power supplies and additional equipment to supply much faster broadband.
   I seem to remember that standby batteries were used with ISDN so that at
least emergency calls could be made after local power loss. What precautions
are to be included to cope with the expected power supply problems? Are we
expected to fall back to mobile phones, where the general public can expect
to be denied service during emergencies?
   If superfast broadband does happen, I assume that even my relatively new
ADSL2+ modem will need to be replaced again, so will I be able to purchase a
new box actually manufactured within the UK?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk