[Gllug] OT: Replace old model WD Raptor with new within CentOS 4 RAID system?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue May 25 06:50:18 UTC 2010

On 24 May 2010 23:33, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Those two discs are similar enough from the performance perspective.
>> The thing to watch out for is the number of sectors available on the HD.
>> If the new HD has even one sector less than the previous one, it will
>> not work correctly.
>>
>> James
>>

> Isn't that only the case if you've made your partitions use the entire
> available space of the disk? I was under the impression if you left a
> few megs unpartitioned when originally building the system you wouldn't
> have that problem.
>
> Roger.
> --

Software raid is a bit more forgiving.
Hardware RAID can be a bit more problematic.
I would go with what the supplier recommends.
If you did not purchase the correct amount of spares at the beginning,
then one might have to replace all the HDs in the RAIDed group.
I don't know if they need to do it now, but in the past hardware raid
also increased speed by having all the discs in the RAID group spin in
sync with each other so one can read the entire stripe at the same
time.
Hopefully you RAID controller does not do that.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk