[Gllug] BETT and Education Show call for papers now live (fwd)

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed May 26 09:03:27 UTC 2010

Hello,
   I have visited BETT almost every year since it started (I happened to be
working close by and heard that a colleague who ran a family based company
had a stand there). The show has gone from an exhibition to show teachers
what a computer looks like and what it can do, through competing software
for learning in various subjects on a variety of operating systems, then
hardware and software that was almost Microsoft only, and more recently the
government run BECTA gave advice that teachers should use a computer and
software to teach IT, but were not allowed to specify which and generally
did not have a clue about anything except Microsoft.
   I heard within the last few days that the new government may close BECTA.
Perhaps these exhibitions need to provide more advice on what is currently
available.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)