[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu May 13 09:53:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:37 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    It was my understanding that DC volts are maintained by batteries at the
> exchange to power a simple analogue phone connection through the copper
> pair.
>    How are analogue phones connected to the fibre?

Who told you they were?

The broadband service is terminated to fibre at the cabinet. That's not
the PSTN service which, as I understand it, is simply jumpered on to the
exchange as is already the case. There is no change to the PSTN service.

All that changes is that the cabinet has something like a microfilter on
each line.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk