[Gllug] ntfsresize is lying to me!

damion at trap.me.uk damion at trap.me.uk
Wed May 12 01:22:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, 9 May 2010, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> however... it says I need to repartition the disk with fdisk first and
> looking at the fdisk man page makes me never want to use fdsik again,
> and I quote...
>
> "fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens
> to produce reasonable results. Its single  advantage is  that it has
> some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables.
> Avoid it if you can.  sfdisk is for hackers only -  the user
> interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk and more
> powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk.  Moreover, it can be  used
> noninteractively.)"

I've used fdisk for years, until cfdisk became more common on install
disks and after I read the following from the fdisk man page.

cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the par‐
tition  tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition tables.
Use it if you can.

> So I figure I'd use parted instead... it has a command "resize" which
> looks like the right sort of thing but it gives me "Support for opening
> ntfs file systems in not implemented yet".

parted seemed scary and unusable in the sfdisk style.  gparted and
k?parted were fine when I needed resizing via knoppix bootcds.  I've
used sfdisk in netboot scripts so I'm actually happier with it than
parted.

But why didn't you try cfdisk?

Damion