[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri May 14 13:05:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 01:19:07PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Thu 13 May, Jason Clifford wrote:
> >

> > PSTN doesn't need fibre. The switch to IP for PSTN happens at the
> > exchange. It doesn't make sense to push that out to the cabinet.
> >

>    I have been told that a major problem at my local exchange is that they
> have run out of duct space, so there could be a great advantage in doing the
> conversion in the local cabinet, apart from the savings of copper. PSTN is
> now carried over the "new 21st Century" network, and there are already some
> of the new huge blocks of flats scheduled to be built in this area, all
> requiring new lines.

Surprised that they say they've run out of space.  I would have
thought if your exchange was built in the era of the old
electromechanical exchanges then advances since then would have freed
up lots of space, even given new housebuilding.

You can see into some of the rooms at my local exchange (LWKLAN -- an
enormous building relative to the size of the community it serves) and
there does seem to be a lot of empty space.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat