[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu May 13 22:07:10 UTC 2010

On Thu 13 May, Jason Clifford wrote:

> > > Who told you they were?
> > >
> >    I understood that fibre is to totally replace copper, not add more
> > infrastructre.
>
> In that case you have misunderstood.
>
> Fibre is being introduced for the most part to improve things not to
> replace them completely.
>
> Nobody is running fibre to your home. It's only going to the nearby
> cabinet if it's happening at all.
>
> PSTN doesn't need fibre. The switch to IP for PSTN happens at the
> exchange. It doesn't make sense to push that out to the cabinet.

   I assumed that fibre would be introduced as far as the local cabinet on
the basis of need, areas with insufficient copper connections first, then
those areas with the worst problems, just as with the conversion from
aluminium back to copper, and a complete local area would be moved together
to a new adjacent cabinet connected to the exchange through fibre. The old
cabinet and copper cables would then be removed for scrap. The customers
would not need to know that the PSTN conversion had been moved, although
they may notice an improvement.
   I would not expect fibre to the home unless it is cost effective for BT,
again new installations first. There is much more work involved.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk