[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed May 5 06:54:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

we have a number of PCs in the office running XP  (and even a couple running
ME or 98 !) and I would like to convert them over to Linux.

The big sticking points in getting people to accept something other than Windows
(at least as far as we are concerned) seems to be:
a) replacement for Excel
b) replacement for Word
c) printer driver support  (we use Kyocera lasers)
d) scanner support
e) graphical ftp client

Whilst these need not be the same, they do need equivalent functionality.
In particular, I have been running OpenOffice on an XP machine and the
document loading speed is absolutely apalling. I assume its because its a
Java application (???).   Is this the same with Linux, or just a Win problem?
Also, does OpenOffice handle the new 'gzipped' style of Excel documents (most
of our stuff is on Office95 I think,  but we receive spreadsheets/documents
created using the lastest MSOffice incarnation).

I am hoping that Kyo have a driver for Linux - will check this out with them
(unless anyone out there already using on Linux?).

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received  - also what would be the 'best'
distribution to use as a replacement for XP beraing in mind the users are
pretty much computer-illiterate?

thanks
Tim

This E-Mail (and any files transmitted with it) is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Seacon Terminals Ltd, Company No. 1547396, registered in England and Wales
Registered Office:  Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, England

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk