[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 7 19:07:33 UTC 2010

On 7 November 2010 16:19, Sanatan Rai <sanatan at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Just to add a few data points:
>
>    * In my undegraduate institution in the early '90s the default platform
>       was hp-ux on HP superminis. Various labs had their own mix of
>       HP/Sun workstations, and there was a Convex C220 for general
>       use of those with draconian computational requirements.
>
>   * By the time I was graduating in the mid-'90s, many professors were
>     moving on the linux boxes as their desktop machines as opposed
>     to old Sun boxes or dos computers they used to log on to the unix
>     machines.

Well said Sanatan.
Another data point in the history of Linux - I managed SunOS machines
at a teaching hospital in London in 1994. When sun changed to Solaris
they unbundled the free (to academics) C compiler and started charging
for it. That started a lot of academics giving a serious look at Linux
running on the Intel x386 hardware around at that time.

(I may have got the 386 generation wrong, but you get the general idea I hope)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk