[Gllug] OT: Recommend UK domain host

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Nov 11 21:26:14 UTC 2010

On 11/11/10 11:06, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> I have been with them since 1986 - in fact when the US
> government/military whatever decided to create a private company -
> Network Solutions took over my account from them.
>
> Being an oldy - I have had no problems with them - I suspect that new
> accounts get a pile of shit and they have more commercial interests now.
> I can phone them - e-mail them and they say "yes Sir how can be of help."
>
> With the rapid growth in people starting up Name Servers offering low
> cost domain name registration - there have been problems no propagation
> between name servers. They have always been good to me - having once
> been an ISP I can't say with hand on heart that the growth of the world
> wide web or the internet has brought great news. Though our hopes for a
> much more united planet is still a dream.
>
> David

Yeah, that's the sad part isn't it. It turns out that people are either
nice or douches in the same proportion as they are in the real world,
perhaps worse when the threat of violent retribution is removed.

It's not entirely hopeless though, it's quite heartening to see
progressive campaign groups like 38degrees manage to harness the
fantastically economical scaling of net based communication and I think
scrappy indy media networks like TwiT are also a sign of what might be
but for every one of the good examples there's 100 spammers, 419
fraudsters and trolls :/

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk