[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 08:36:18 UTC 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, Karanbir Singh said:

> On 11/23/2010 10:23 PM, Nix wrote:
>> On 23 Nov 2010, Karanbir Singh told this:
>>> As another example, when asked to find per-process blockdev i/o rate,
>>> only 1 out of 8 people actually looked in /proc/<id>/; a couple
>>
>> I'm sorry, where is this? I just hunted for it and can't see anything
>> relating to per-process blockdev I/O there. I had no idea Linux tracked
>> such things on a per-process basis (in fact I can remember patches to do
>> such things being rejected in the past).
>
> iotop has been fairly widespread for a few years now, main line 2.6.20+

Hm. Actually I even have it installed, and recall that it worked at
some point in the past. Looks like a 'make oldconfig' bug at some point
managed to flip the config option off on every system I run here, and
I hadn't noticed.

I wonder how expensive this is?

... 24 bytes per task, rounded up to 32 by the allocator, and a very
few additions per I/O op. Nearly free. I'll turn it back on :)

> how about /proc/<pid>/io ?

Missing on every system I have access to.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk