[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Nov 24 09:28:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 01:08 +0000, Steve Parker wrote:
> I had a few interviews with a well-known search engine / advertiser a
> year or so ago, which ended when I got an interview with someone who
> wanted really specific answers to obscure hypothetical questions about
> DNS MX records, which I told him I couldn't answer; could we please move
> on to something else? I could find it out quite easily if I wasn't busy
> having a job interview, but I simply couldn't give him the answer he was
> looking for. I had aced the other interviews; the next step after that
> one would be onsite, but I got a phone call the next day saying that
> they weren't interested.

Which perfectly illustrates the point I tried to make earlier about why
such questions are a poor way to determine the suitability of a
prospective employee.

They not only fail to get a good handle on the applicant's real
abilities but they also give the employer a false idea of what makes for
a good new employee.

Reality is that almost every IT installation is significantly different
to others and that new employees should always be expected to require
time to become familiar with the specifics of a new job. Expecting
someone to hit the ground running at or near to full speed is not
realistic.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk