[Gllug] VACANCY: Software Developer/Analyst (Cloud Computing)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 4 22:57:58 UTC 2010

On 4 Nov 2010, James Courtier-Dutton stated:
> It is also sensible to add error detection checksums to the data. e.g.
> Sha256sum in order to detect faulty media that would then require
> extra work to do data recovery during the media refresh.

I'd use Reed-Solomon coding or some other similar scheme which provides
redundancy as well. It's all very well to know 'your data is corrupted'
but not be able to fix it!

(Yes, it takes more space. This is *archival* work, though: even the
biggest dataset old enough to do this to is going to vanish on a modern
storage medium.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk