[Gllug] OT: Anyone using Orange for broadband in North London?

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Fri Nov 5 02:13:36 UTC 2010

general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>  Well the price for broadband + landline is only £2 a month less than
>  BE, I assume, being a far larger company, they could gain that
>  through better economies of scale. The real saving is with the free
>  landline calls and far cheaper mobile calls. I assume they could
>  offer that sustainably because, as a huge mobile network themselves,
>  they can negotiate better peering deals with other mobile providers.
>  BE, not being a mobile provider have to pay full whack.
>
>  Anyway, I am asking the opinion of people who have actually used
>  their service, have you?

Yes. I'd mark them "A bit worse than average", primarily for the
rubbishy "Orange boxes" with the pcmcia network cards inside, and
general facelessness. Kind of like a "What TalkTalk did next" sort of
company. Speed and reliability I'd put at average, IE, pay for upto
8megs, you'll get 2 or 3.

Given what your website says you do, though, I'd question moving from an
ISP that has demonstrably proven itself to you: I would certainly not
risk my business on it.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann