[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Nov 24 09:43:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 00:30 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> iotop has been fairly widespread for a few years now, main line 2.6.20+
> have i/o accounting( so mid 2007 ? );

Two and a half years is not really a very long time though, is it? If
someone has had the luxury of running systems which are well spec'd for
the actual requirements and have been stable for several years (which is
a very common experience!) why should they have known about something
that entered kernel space only so recently and for which user space
tools will have only appeared much more recently (and which are not
apparently very widespread even now)?

The mid 2007 timeframe is also rather misleading as that is when it was
being pushed into development kernels and not when it arrived in kernels
pushed as part of the normal production process. Unless a site had
particular issues with IO at that time is it really likely that the
admins would have had recourse to this?

> rhel/centos have had this for a
> while too. Dag blogged about it way back when..
> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/red-hat-backported-io-accounting-to-rhel5

He blogged that it had just arrived in a development kernel and in a
comment states that it was not envisioned as being pushed in the
production release cycle until RHEL 5.4 and, having checked, I can see
that the kernel option was part of the RHEL 5.4 release which happened
in September 2009. That's only just over a year ago.

Do you really expect people to be trying out every new feature even if
they don't find that they need it?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk