[Gllug] Snoracle

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 21 01:07:32 UTC 2010

On 20 Nov 2010, Richard Jones spake thusly:
> I'm still baffled by why people use Oracle (database).  As a developer
> I found it was so much worse than PostgreSQL ...  I certainly don't
> miss the installer-from-hell or having stupid arbitrary limits on the
> length of strings.

Stupid arbitrary limits that can change every time the DB starts up,
don't forget. (Oh, and you cannot resize strings dynamically in PL/SQL,
you can only catch the oops-too-long exception and desperately flail
about as you try to recover. I hope you like handling data of any size
in lots of tiny chunks.

And this crippled constantly-changing incompatible-with-itself deformed
mutant offspring of Ada is what Oracle recommend you write the *whole
DB-facing part of the app* in!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk