[Gllug] new project HA at home and away

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Nov 18 04:44:49 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I am looking to improve the user experience for me and my partner as we work and play accross three locations. We have two desktops and a laptop.

What I want to do is enable either of us to login to any of the three locations and have our individual desktop available. So far I am thinking;
1. each hardware system installed as server that is part of a group that sync with each other
2. a virtual machine that provides our day to day working environment
3. each machine should be able to function on its own and the user will aware of the limits of syncing
4. currently most comfortable with GDM on Fedora.

>From my research so far I think I am looking at a cluster that is to provide a fail over(high availability) environment.

I believe there will be some additional backup due to the redundency of the VMs.

Am I crazy thinking this might work?

Due to the common use of many of the words and phrases I find furthing my research to challenging. I am hoping to get some targeted phrases to help me further my research.

Many thanks if you have read this far. All comments appreciated.

Justin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk