[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Mon Nov 29 21:48:30 UTC 2010

On 29/11/10 08:35, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 29 Nov, Steve Parker wrote:
>
>> On 28/11/10 19:09, John Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> The other possibilities are CPU, motherboard, RAM (memtest will
>>> not catch errors that occur under load)
>>>

>> Could you elaborate on that at all please?
>>
>     I have had intermittent contact problems on 4-pin IDE type drive power
> extender/splitter cables, and try to avoid them where possible.

Thanks John E. I was asking more about the comment about memtest; We use
mcelog as suggested by John H, and it does seem to pick up a fairly high
number of errors (currently got 5 machines out of ~120 reporting
errors), but I have recently introduced memtest too, in the belief that
it would be a more accurate and thorough test; John E's comment
suggested that it might not be all that useful at detecting errors...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk