[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 22:08:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:48:30PM +0000, Steve Parker wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks John E. I was asking more about the comment about memtest; We use
> mcelog as suggested by John H, and it does seem to pick up a fairly high
> number of errors (currently got 5 machines out of ~120 reporting
> errors), but I have recently introduced memtest too, in the belief that
> it would be a more accurate and thorough test; John E's comment
> suggested that it might not be all that useful at detecting errors...

Sorry if I was not clear.

Memtest very useful in finding errors within the RAM stick. But
it does not test the RAM when the rest of the server components
are under load and so may not find some obscure problems.

Some problems do not occur when each element of a system is tested
in isolation, only when they are combined or placed in certain
enviromental conditions. Drives engineers crazy.
;)

Back to the Shuttle boxes. They are useful bits of kit, especially
for crowded workplaces, but they seem to have a lifetime of about
4 years.

In the workshop are some spare bits from various dead Shuttles.
If let me know the model I may be able to find some bits.