[Gllug] Snoracle (was Re: new project HA at home and away)

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 23:34:57 UTC 2010

> I'm still baffled by why people use Oracle (database).  As a developer
> I found it was so much worse than PostgreSQL ...  I certainly don't
> miss the installer-from-hell or having stupid arbitrary limits on the
> length of strings.

Of the many "Why the %&*! did they do that?" moments* in my career,
the Oracle installer some years ago ranks up there as one of the more
memorable experiences. What was supposed to be a 4-hour job turned
into several days with even their support staff saying statements like
'Have you tried a different motherboard?' Grrrr. On the next contract,
when asked if I knew anything about it, replied 'No.'

Tid

* close up to that was Novell Netware which would allow you to get 95%
of the way through an install before failing if you named a group
'admin' - it was a protected word. Go figgure as they say.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk