[Gllug] Snoracle (was Re: new project HA at home and away)

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Sat Nov 20 23:15:55 UTC 2010

On 20/11/10 23:11, Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm still baffled by why people use Oracle (database). As a developer
> I found it was so much worse than PostgreSQL ...  I certainly don't
> miss the installer-from-hell or having stupid arbitrary limits on the
> length of strings.

IME, it's either because it's what the DBAs are most familiar with, or
(most often) the management decide to use it because that is what their
competitors use. If you go against the flow and it works, you're hailed
as a genius; if your business suffers because you deviated from industry
standards, you are looking for a new six-figure job.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk