[Gllug] Scam

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Nov 1 10:26:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 10:21 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> this is TOTALLY off-topic,  but at least more entertaining than the letter K !
>
> Out of curiosity, does anyone know how this scam works ?

I expect that once they have hooked their victim by getting their
personal details they then claim that the they are unable to provide the
"cashiers check" and ask for your bank account details so as to be able
to transfer the money to you and then ask you to prepay the transaction
charges for the transfer or they simply ask you to make such a payment
straight away.

They may even send you some kind of cheque and ask you to pay them a fee
to cover costs. You then send them the money and deposit the "cheque"
into your bank account. After several days your bank advise you that the
cheque is a fake.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk