[Gllug] Scam

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:04:34 UTC 2010

On 1 November 2010 10:26, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 10:21 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
>> this is TOTALLY off-topic,  but at least more entertaining than the letter K !
>>
>> Out of curiosity, does anyone know how this scam works ?
>
> I expect that once they have hooked their victim by getting their
> personal details they then claim that the they are unable to provide the
> "cashiers check" and ask for your bank account details so as to be able
> to transfer the money to you and then ask you to prepay the transaction
> charges for the transfer or they simply ask you to make such a payment
> straight away.
>
> They may even send you some kind of cheque and ask you to pay them a fee
> to cover costs. You then send them the money and deposit the "cheque"
> into your bank account. After several days your bank advise you that the
> cheque is a fake.

I think the bank has about 6 months to decide if the cheque is fake or not.
So, if you receive a check, and then you make a payment out from that money.
The bank can grab the check money back 6 months later, but you will
not get your payment out that you did back.
Conclusion:
Checks are not worth the paper they are written on.

The way round this is to ask your bank how a fraudulent free
international payment can be made, and ensure the other party use that
method.
There are several good methods to do international bank transfers.

For the scam you give as an example, it normally requires some "bank
transaction charges" to be paid that you will never get back, and 6
months down the line, you will loose any payment you received from the
scam.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk