[Gllug] SSH + Putty

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 16:00:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:11:32PM +0530, Narender wrote:
> I am trying to set up a hadoop  cluster(Linux machines) on 3 vm?s. As
> of now I am using say 10.1.1.2/3/4.

Could you say which distribution of Linux you are using?

> I am currently facing an issue on 3/4.  I am unable to ssh localhost
> on the boxes once I log on  to them via putty.

Why do you need to login to localhost using SSH again after you have
already logged into the machines using Putty?

>  I can do so in 10.1.1.2 I think.
> It seems that the ssh client tries to connect to the ssh port on those
> boxes but just freezes. ssh in the verbose mode shows that it is
> waiting to connect to the ssh port on them
> Since I can use putty to connect to all the boxes, and I see that ssh
> daemon running on them, and netstat tells me that the ssh ports are
> being listened to, I am a bit confused about the ssh clients behavior.

But is it listening on the IP address to which localhost resolves?
Remember that this could be IPv4 or IPv6, depending on what is in
the /etc/hosts file.

Does the command 'nc localhost 22' return the SSH version string
on each machine?