[Gllug] (OT) linux e-mail via BT home hub

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Mon Nov 1 22:44:08 UTC 2010

Don Williams wrote:
>  This is simply a request for warnings/advice on what to watch out for
>  in setting up/using Evolution e-mail via BT's Home Hub (wired -
>  Infinity 1) - just in case a GLLUG member has any relevant
>  experience. Currently running Ubuntu 10.04 but will be installing
>  Debian 6 once it's out. Humble TIA. Everything seems OK at the
>  moment, with the exception that the connection seems to
>  die/disconnect most nights. Don

A number of my clients have been caught out by the appalling BT/Yahoo
email service: should you check for email too often, it appears to put
you in a time-out loop during which additional checks are automatically
denied with a "username/password incorrect" response from the MUA. To
the user, the password which is correct suddenly becomes adamantly
wrong, so they try all the other passwords they've ever used, which of
course are still wrong. Solution thus far is to walk away and try again
after half an hour with the original password.

Broadband dying overnight maybe because you have an unfiltered
telephone-connected device which 'phones home at night: sky boxes do
this, as do some of those devices that pollsters sue to calculate
viewing figures.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann