[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Tue Nov 23 13:24:31 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 13:03, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 11:33 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> Eg. One person
>> who came to the interview was unable to confirm how many IP address's a
>> single eth interface can host. While another instantly confirmed : 254.

In what circumstance do you expect a typical sysadmin to have come
across this? I can not think of a sensibly-designed system which would
have such a requirement
> Did the first candidate at least answer that he did not know off hand
> but could tell you given a minute on a test box or with google
Or did they simply say that they had experience of multiple VIPs and
were not aware of any limits (but for bonus points, here's how they
would find out)? That is the answer that I would expect - showing
practical, real-world experience of the technology in question, but not
claiming to know more than they do.

Also, some firms use these questions to get answers without paying
consultancy fees.

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk