[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Nov 23 13:48:58 UTC 2010

On 11/23/2010 01:24 PM, Steve Parker wrote:
> In what circumstance do you expect a typical sysadmin to have come
> across this? I can not think of a sensibly-designed system which would
> have such a requirement

I would expect every capable linux sysadmin to be aware of the
networking stack and atleast know how it works and where to look or
howto test for such things. He did have a linux laptop in front of him
and we did give him 15 min before the interview to get familiar with how
it was setup ( it was a bog standard centos install ).

> Or did they simply say that they had experience of multiple VIPs and
> were not aware of any limits (but for bonus points, here's how they
> would find out)? That is the answer that I would expect - showing
> practical, real-world experience of the technology in question, but not
> claiming to know more than they do.

Absolutely! there were others in the mix who did say just that. But then
fell over when asked to actually find that limit or in other places down
the interview process.

As another example, when asked to find per-process blockdev i/o rate,
only 1 out of 8 people actually looked in /proc/<id>/; a couple
dismissed it as only available in >= 2.6.2X; the rest just went faffing
about with iostat / vmstat / <randomtool>.

> Also, some firms use these questions to get answers without paying
> consultancy fees.

Asking people on/about roles that they will need to work with in the job
will almost always encroach upon the idea of 'free consulting', but in
many cases is the only way to workout if the person can fit the team or
not.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk