[Gllug] Samsung Galaxy Tab

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at atreides.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 10:38:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 03:29:43PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:12:10PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 19:02 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> >
> > > Careful though, I have heard rumour some of the newer android handsets
> > > deliberately prevent you re-flashing with your own images, they'll only
> > > run images signed by the OEM. I've no idea which ones do this and the
> > > rumours could be bullshit but it's far from inconceivable so its
> > > probably worth checking that before making a purchase. That's exactly
> > > the kind of thing the GPL V3 is meant to prevent but sadly neither the
> > > kernel nor android use the V3 license :/
> > >
> > > Roger
> >
> > I had no problem first getting root and then modifying my Samsung Galaxy
> > S.  As supplied by Orange, it was quite slow, and appeared to be
> > crippled in some way.
> >
> > A bit of research, a little messing around in the command line, and I
> > got the way I want it.  I can overclock it (though it kills the battery
> > life), change to differing kernels and desktops (Android is in a frenzy
> > of development at the moment), and generally make it behave differently.
> > I've even written two (trivial) applications for it, just to learn about
> > the SDK.
> >
> > I would highly recommend it, though the price of admission to this game
> > is a bit high at the moment!
>
> 470 quid!  You're not joking ...

You don't have to pay that much, you can get android phones at ~100
quid, the ZTE Blade (AKA Orange SF) for example seems like a good
option. Maybe you can even get away with just the emulator in the
SDK (qemu :) depending on the application you want to write.

For the Galaxy S/Tab the only real issues that I know about is the
choise of RFS (FAT with journaling) for the filesystem which makes
the system crawl and that the official tools to load firmware are
windows only. Nothing that you can't fix though.

Kostas
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk