[Gllug] On24 webcasts

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 22:18:11 UTC 2010

Anyone worked out how/if one can attend their webinars from a Linux desktop?

On24 run a webinar presentation platform. 'Open' IBM is amongst their
clients, eg attended session on e-signatures today [1]. Whenever I "Test
your system" against a browser, their system interrogates for OpSys,
browser, and cookies[2] (I would have thought Flash, but...). Linux =
fail. (I've tested Firefox, Opera, and Midori)

Simple boys (like me) take these tests as definitive and slouch-away
muttering (if sufficiently disgusted/motivated I write to the
broadcaster and 'tell them off'/point out the lack of marketing
awareness/crime of inducing frustration in a potential client - at the
very least they should warn me BEFORE I sign-up!)

However today, on a whim (and because I've only just downloaded/tried
using it on my 'new' PC) I tried using Chromium. It worked quite happily
- and without (apparently) first channelling me through the 'test'
cycle. (IIRC Chrome/ium has its own 'Flash' added-in)

So, after the talk finished, I re-tested the other browsers and
discovered that whilst they initially flash up 'fail', if I leave the
browser window open, after a short delay the audio and video will
'work'. NB I haven't been able to attempt the list of browsers on a live
presentation.

NB I have done no 'hacking', not even to alter browser User-Agent strings.

Optional question (see [2]): just how does me=my "network
administrator", perform an "operating system upgrade" of a Linux system
anyway?

--
Regards,
=dn

[1] E-Signatures and Online Collaboration on the Cloud
http://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=lobby.jsp&eventid=260018&sessionid=1&key=74AC2BD49F60B3DB07236FD40642E968&eventuserid=43348625

[2]
<<< Test Your System

Operating System	   	Failed	   	We have detected that your operating
system does not meet the optimal webcast specifications for listening to
and/or viewing webcasts. We recommend the following operating systems:
Windows XP SP2, and Mac OS X 10.4.
Please note that users with older versions of Windows (Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 95), Mac, Linux, and Unix operating
systems may or may not experience difficulties listening to and/or
viewing webcasts. Please contact your network administrator regarding
any operating system upgrades.

Browser	   	Passed

Cookies	   	Passed

testing	   	final result
Flash Test Video: (a short test video with audio should play below)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk