[Gllug] OT: Anyone using Orange for broadband in North London?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 4 22:35:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 18:24 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
wrote:
> traffic shaping. They claim they will definitely match or beat the 8/0.5
> Mbit I get from BE's value package

What speed do you actually get on the service from Be?

Speaking of matching or beating speeds is bullshit. Unless you are
already getting the maximum sync rate possible on your service it is
questionable as to whether anyone can increase your speeds.

More important than speeds however is that Be give you a service with no
usage limits. The Orange service is very different - it has a limit on
usage albeit one they are not honest enough to call a limit preferring
the lie of "fair use cap".

> (they say they use "dynamic line
> management" which they claim is superior to whatever the alternative is,
> no idea what that even is!)

It's another bullshit claim. DLM means traffic management. Orange do not
have a good reputation for traffic management. Be, on the other hand,
have a fantastic reputation for delivering service without artificial
limits or measures to prevent you from using the service.

> I'm very happy with BE but, taking the 24/7 and half price mobile calls
> into account, I figure this could save me over £20 a month! The question
> is: are they likely to deliver reliable broadband at the rated speed?

What rated speed? They are not selling you a rated speed. Like every
other broadband service they are offering a service with speeds UP TO
some level. If they are claiming otherwise they are lying.

> never seem to miss a beat and I get the rated 8 meg all day every day,
> the times I've had to call them they've had very competent staff online

You will not get a similar experience with Orange. They are offering you
service for less than it costs to provide. Where do you suppose they
will be making savings to avoid bankruptcy?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk