[Gllug] OT: Anyone using Orange for broadband in North London?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Nov 4 23:41:46 UTC 2010

On 04/11/10 22:35, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 18:24 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> wrote:
>
>> traffic shaping. They claim they will definitely match or beat the 8/0.5
>> Mbit I get from BE's value package
>>
> What speed do you actually get on the service from Be?

8Mb like I said. The value package says up to 8Mb and my downloads
always come down at the full 8Mb.

> Speaking of matching or beating speeds is bullshit. Unless you are
> already getting the maximum sync rate possible on your service it is
> questionable as to whether anyone can increase your speeds.

The Orange guy says my line can do 9Mb and the "dynamic" whatjumacallit
means I should get that. This is the part I'm skeptical about, I've seen
many a provider that promises "up to 24Mb" struggle to deliver 2 or 3.
Clearly some companies (like BE) can deliver the "up to" rates they
advertise but clearly many companies do not, I'm wondering if Orange are
one of the former or the latter group.

> More important than speeds however is that Be give you a service with no
> usage limits. The Orange service is very different - it has a limit on
> usage albeit one they are not honest enough to call a limit preferring
> the lie of "fair use cap".

The BE value package was capped at 40GB/month too although I can't see
that on the site any more so maybe they've done away with the cap. ALL
providers have a "fair use" policy though, even them.

>> I'm very happy with BE but, taking the 24/7 and half price mobile calls
>> into account, I figure this could save me over £20 a month! The question
>> is: are they likely to deliver reliable broadband at the rated speed?
>>
> What rated speed? They are not selling you a rated speed. Like every
> other broadband service they are offering a service with speeds UP TO
> some level. If they are claiming otherwise they are lying.

With BE I pay for "up to" 8 and I get 8 all day every day of the week,
that's one of the reasons I like them so much.

>> never seem to miss a beat and I get the rated 8 meg all day every day,
>> the times I've had to call them they've had very competent staff online
>>
> You will not get a similar experience with Orange. They are offering you
> service for less than it costs to provide. Where do you suppose they
> will be making savings to avoid bankruptcy?

Well the price for broadband + landline is only £2 a month less than BE,
I assume, being a far larger company, they could gain that through
better economies of scale. The real saving is with the free landline
calls and far cheaper mobile calls. I assume they could offer that
sustainably because, as a huge mobile network themselves, they can
negotiate better peering deals with other mobile providers. BE, not
being a mobile provider have to pay full whack.

Anyway, I am asking the opinion of people who have actually used their
service, have you?

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk