[Gllug] Ubuntu 32 bit or 64bit for Windows 7

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 08:34:03 UTC 2010

On Thu 25 Nov, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I bought a Core i3 2.13GHz 4Gb Ram laptop which has Windows 7 64 bit pre-loaded. I want to dual boot install Ubuntu 10.04 but don't know whether to install the 32 bit or the 64 bit version would be more compatible to the Core i3 ?
>
> The reason why I need a new ubuntu  box as I was unable to access my last one kept asking me for the HDD 0 password right after the boot up bios screen. I haven't set a password for the hard disk but I was locked out. Do you know how to
 fix it?

> Please advise.
>
> Lucy

   You may have an altered BIOS setting which is causing the problem, have
you tried to restore the factory defaults and then re-set your preferences?
   You can probably access your old data by running the box using a Knoppix
bootable CD or DVD, save your personal files to another computer or disc,
then totally wipe the old disc and re-install. The old disc may have a
corruption somewhere within the first few sectors which you can wipe using

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda      (or of=/dev/sda)

   I test a secondhand drive by creating a single partition covering the
entire disc then formatting it using

mke2fs -c -c /dev/hda1    (or /dev/sda1)

this will take a very long time writing then reading different patterns to
the entire disc, and will report any errors.
   Note that the root password is not set on a knoppix disc, so you can just
su to become the administrator.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk