[Gllug] 'newaliases' weirdness

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 12:21:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:54:18AM -0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Sun, November 7, 2010 11:08, gvim wrote:
> > On 5th November, on Centos 5.5, I changed an entry in /etc/aliases from:
> >
> > joeblogs:         joeblogs at yahoo.co.uk
> >
> > .... to:
> >
> > joeblogs:        joeblogs at gmail.com
> >
> > ... and ran `newaliases` and `service postfix restart` in time-honoured
> > fashion.
> >
> >   All was well apart from 2 emails which went out the following day to the
> > old yahoo.co.uk alias, which I can't fathom.
>
> I think you need to run "postalias aliases".

'postalias /etc/aliases' would be better as it gives the full path
to the aliases file.

> Also "service blah
> stop|start|restart" is a redhatism.

Well he did say it was Centos.

But it's not just limited to Red Hat. The service command is now used
by Ubuntu's upstart system, and you can install the sysvconfig package
in Debian to get a wrapper for the /etc/init.d/ scripts.

It can be a neutral way of stopping/starting services without having
to rely on the particular init type or OS locations (I seem to
remember that SuSE or Red Hat used to put them in /etc/rc.d/init.d).

Also people coming from other operating systems usually find it a bit
easier to remember than '/etc/init.d/<package>', though knowing the
full path is useful later when debugging init scripts with things like
'bash -x'.