[Gllug] 'newaliases' weirdness

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun Nov 7 21:06:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:54:18AM -0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> If you're using a sensible MTA (i.e. Exim) then there's none of this
> newaliases nonsense.  You just edit /etc/aliases and you're done.

In the default, auto-generated configuration that comes with the typical
Exim packages, yes.  But There's nothing to stop Exim being configured
to use a bdb file just as in Sendmail's default configuration, in which
case you would need an extra step.  I've certainly seen that in the
wild.

There's nothing nonsensical to the bdb storage of aliases - it keeps
performing well as the size of the aliases increases, in a way that is
not true of the plain text lookup.  It's just that most Linux
installations will have a small aliases file.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"