[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 6 23:05:02 UTC 2010

On 6 November 2010 17:20, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/10 11:43, Tethys wrote:
>> --------
>>
>> "general_email at technicalbloke.com" writes:
>>

>>> Given that your desktop choices were DOS6, Win3.1 and OS2 (hooked up,
>>> if you were lucky, to a 28k modem) when labour came into power
>>>
>> Speak for yourself. I was running Linux at the time, and had been for several years.

I agree with the point about Linux.

But regarding graphical desktops - Windows was simply an upstart at the time.
Plenty of scientists and engineers were using Solaris, HPUX, Irix,
Ultrix and VMS workstations.
Yup, you could have a perfectly usable X-windows desktop on VMS - and
I had a VAXstation all to myself in the 1980s.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk