[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sat Nov 6 17:35:04 UTC 2010

On 06/11/10 17:20, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 06/11/10 11:43, Tethys wrote:
>> "general_email at technicalbloke.com" writes:
>>> Given that your desktop choices were DOS6, Win3.1 and OS2 (hooked up,
>>> if you were lucky, to a 28k modem) when labour came into power
>>>
>> Speak for yourself. I was running Linux at the time, and had been for several years.
>>
>> Tet
>
> Yes, some of the brave souls I was at Uni with had working linux
> desktops by the mid 90s. I remember my mate Dave fighting with his
> Ollivetti 486 DX25 for nearly a week to get X working, let's not pretend
> that was a viable solution for widescale deployment to end users back
> then! ;)

Well if we're going there...

Oooh, arrgh, Oi remember (barely) kicking Slackware 1.0 into action (on
about the tenth install, had to keep changing hardware until I got
something that worked) after getting it free with PCW back in, oooh,
that'd be nointeen nointy tree or so, still got the images somewhere...

:)

However I only moved to Linux on my main desktop (as against my servers)
this last year (Ubuntu 10.04 as it happens... despite many previous
attempts from RH4 on including SuSE and previous 'buntus, etc etc).

T'was Win 7 what done it. It works well enough, but the inefficiency of
resource use made me ache.

mej

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com