[Gllug] Ubuntu for development

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Mon Nov 8 18:20:05 UTC 2010

On 08/11/10 18:04, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:34:02 +0000, gvim<gvimrc at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 08/11/2010 17:16, Jason Clifford wrote:
>>>
>>> Is Fedora the hosting platform? If not then I'd suggest forgetting
>>> the Fedora setup and instead focusing on ensuring that the
>>> development platform matches the actual hosting one as appropriate.
>>>

>> I'm referring more to standard Linux utilities rather than anything
>> distro-specific. As Ubuntu Desktop comes on a CD and is aimed at
>> non-developers I imagine there are a few things missing.
>
> No idea if that's a safe assumption, but you're being pretty vague about
> what you're after so I'll try to give am equally vague but hopefully
> useful response.
>
> You probably want the tools that are required to build a particular sort
> of program, as a start, so you should pick a program with similar things
> going on and do:

Agree with all previous comments: but one other thing.

I have been very happy with KVM running under RH, Debian, and Ubuntu (I
prefer it to OpenBox which is slicker but falls over in messy heaps far
too often for my taste; but VMWare W/S is OK too and slick).

So I'd be inclined to leave my base 'buntu install as a base install,
install KVM only on that, and then build a VM with a build environment
and another with a target environment as a first step in KVM (but you
could use any VM host of Your Choice). That keeps things nicely
separated when the inevitable c***-*p happens and means you can backup
and revert to whole environment snapshots.

That all assumes a reasonable machine, but almost anything new is
reasonable nowadays.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com