[Gllug] Ubuntu for development

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Nov 8 18:04:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:34:02 +0000, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 17:16, Jason Clifford wrote:
> >
> > Is Fedora the hosting platform? If not then I'd suggest forgetting
> > the Fedora setup and instead focusing on ensuring that the
> > development platform matches the actual hosting one as appropriate.
> >

> I'm referring more to standard Linux utilities rather than anything
> distro-specific. As Ubuntu Desktop comes on a CD and is aimed at
> non-developers I imagine there are a few things missing.

No idea if that's a safe assumption, but you're being pretty vague about
what you're after so I'll try to give am equally vague but hopefully
useful response.

You probably want the tools that are required to build a particular sort
of program, as a start, so you should pick a program with similar things
going on and do:

  sudo apt-get build-dep whatever

('whatever' being the package you selected)

That will install the build dependencies for whatever package you
choose.

If you want to be minimal about it, you can instead do:

  sudo apt-get install build-essential

which will install gcc, g++, make and a few other bits, and then add
extra tools as you go along.

If you want to rebuild packages, installing devscripts is a good idea,
which provides debuild among other commands.

To grab the source for a package:

  sudo apt-get source whatever

(assuming you have the deb-src lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list)

The sudo's are only needed to get to be root -- if you're already root,
leave them out.

If you prefer using aptitude, synaptic, or one of the many other package
managers, go for it, although I think only apt-get does the source
thing.

This is all based on what's true of Debian -- your maleage may vary with
Ubuntu as they occasionally change things.

Oh, and RTFM probably -- Hm, should have said that earlier ;-)

Cheers, Phil.