[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Nov 25 23:51:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, November 25, 2010 20:42, Nix wrote:
> Strongly agreed (typing this on a DNUK box, with $HOME on another DNUK
> box...)

I generally respect DNUK as a reseller, but can't quite forgive them for
what I considered to be very poor customer service at the time.

I ordered a server from them with express instructions, verbally agreed
and typed in bold on the PO, that I didn't want anything from Realtek or
SiS involved.  The shipped a mobo with SiS graphics and Realtek NICs.  I
returned the server as not matching the specification.  They did give me a
full refund but made it clear they wouldn't sell me another server.

Some years later they changed their mind when I asked them to quote for a
fairly large chunk of server hardware but were unable to successfully
process the payment via my company charge card.

Throwing my hands up in frustration, I ordered equivalent spec servers
from Dell, paid less money, paid less money _on the same credit card_, and
the kit arrived inside a week.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk