[Gllug] OT: Anyone using Orange for broadband in North London?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Nov 5 18:33:08 UTC 2010

On 05/11/10 11:46, t.clarke wrote:
> I am curious as to how an ADSL line sync'd at 8Mbps can deliver an 8Mbps
> download?
>
> Surely the extra 'bits' used in the TCP/IP protocol will gobble up some of the
> bandwidth, resulting an effective speed-loss?
>
> My ADSL service (with UKFSN) has proved very reliable and syncs at around
> 7.5Mbps, but various speedtesters report a figure a bit below 7.  At my request
> some time ago, interleaving is used due to some historical problems with dodgy
> street cabling, which probably accounts for some of the speed difference.

I have no idea what speed the line is synced at, all I know is that all
my downloads happen at a shade over 800 kilobytes a second, according to
firefox. If they we're a lot slower I may have logged into my router and
checked the minutiae but so far I've had no need to look that particular
gift horse in the mouth. Indeed I had expected to get a high 7 what with
the overhead so I was surprised when I got a generous 8 out of them.
Maybe the line is "synced"  at a higher speed then throttled elsewhere?
If you are very curious let me know and I'll find out for you :)

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk